January 04, 2015

Suzaku Ibun: Seiryuu Summoning Arc - The Kutou War, Pt. 4 (Or, "Nakago and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day")

Hey gang, sorry for the two-week hiatus! The holidays are a mad time, and I was churning out a bunch of series/year-end posts over at The Josei Next Door, so translating kinda got put on the backburner. But I had a long weekend thanks to New Year's, and it's given me the time I needed to give you a Super-Mega-Giant portion of Ibun to make up for lost time! So get comfy and hit that jump to see how this crazy war turns out.



==Scene: Kutou Camp==
——.
You: We’re...
Chichiri: Hnn. I know I sensed Nakago’s ki here no da.
You: But then... where...?
Nakago: You’re here.
You: Nakago...
Nakago: I came to welcome you, Priestess of Suzaku.
No... this is all wrong.
Tasuki: Oh... so it’s a trap, huh...?
Nakago: You thought I couldn’t predict your plan of attack?
Nakago: You’d never be able fight against such a large number of opponents if you were nothing but ordinary humans.
Tamahome: ...Tch.
Chichiri: He... was one step ahead us no da.
You: ...Where’s Misaki-chan?
Nakago: Misaki-sama. Come here.
Misaki: ...Yes... sir.
You: Misaki-chan!?
Nakago: The summoning ceremony is, by its nature, performed so the priestess can join with the god.
Nakago: Her body carries a massive amount of power from her god. Every time she uses a wish, that power eats away at the priestess.
Nakago: When the god grants her final wish, he will then devour her, body and soul, and she will die.
You: But how could he... do something so cruel…?
Nakago: So what happens now? Will you do everything in your power to stop us?
You: ...Misaki-chan...
You: Misaki-chan…
My feet started to move on their own.
Tamahome: H-hey! Wait!
Nakago: Don’t move.
You: Guys... stay where you are.
Tasuki: Wh-what’re you sayin’?
You: This... is something that I have to do.
You: ...Misaki-chan.
I drew another step closer.
Nakago: ...Stop her.
Kutou Soldier: Yes, sir!
You: Please step aside...
Kutou Soldier 1: I can’t.
You: I beg you. Please step aside.
Misaki: Y...you...
Nakago: ...If she doesn’t fall back, kill her.
Kutou Soldier: Y-yes, sir...
Kutou Soldier: F... fall back...
You: I beg you. Please step aside...
Kutou Soldier: If you don’t fall back, I’ll kill you!
You: ...Please step aside.
Nakago: Kill her.
Kutou Soldier: I-I told you to fall back!
You: Please step aside.
Nakago: Didn’t you hear what I said!?
Kutou Soldier: *shrieks*
*swipe*
=Screen flashes red=
You: …!
Mitsukake: Are you all right!!?
You: ...I’m fine.
Kutou Soldier: Liar… A wound like that will kill you! ...If you don’t stop the bleeding.
You: ...Please... step aside.
Kutou Soldier: Don’t move... you’d better not move. You’ll die.
You: ...Please...
Kutou Soldier: How can you… possibly...?
Nakago: Do it again.
Kutou Soldier: I... I can’t, sir...
Nakago: I told you to kill her!
Kutou Soldier: I... I cannot, sir!
Nakago: I see. Perhaps you didn’t hear me...
Nakago: Then I’ll dispose of you along with her!
=flash=
*smack*
—!
Nakago: Ugh. Damn you...
Tamahome: It’s not like you to be so careless.
Tamahome: …This is their big, touching reunion. So we’re gonna keep quiet and watch.
Tasuki: I second that.
Nuriko: You’re always such a boor, Nakago.
Nakago: Why, you...!
Thanks to the others, I took another step forward.
You: ...Misaki-chan.
I felt something warm pouring out of me.
Misaki: ...Blood.
...Just a little more and... my hands would reach her.
You: Misaki-chan...
Misaki: That’s blood...
You: Misaki-chan...
I finally made it.
Misaki: …*sob*...*sob*...
You: I’m sorry I’m late...
Misaki: Oh... *sob*...
You: I really am... sorry...
I was finally able to say what I’d always wanted to tell her...
You: I finally... found you...
Misaki: Ah... *wails*
Nakago: Impossible... Tomo’s spell was...
Misaki: I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! This is all my fault!
You: No... I’m the one... who was late...
You: I’m so... sorry. I’ve always been so weak...
Misaki: What’re you saying...? You can’t... you can’t die!
You: It’s way past due... but...
You: ...I was finally... able to keep... my promise...
I was getting colder...
Misaki: Kai jin...
You: No, you can’t... If you make another wish, then...
Don’t do it. Misaki-chan...
=flashes white=
Don’t—
…..
It was snow-white...
I guess... I died.
I wonder how the war turned out.
I wonder how the others... and how he’s doing...
[Words across the top screen]
“...Girl from another world.”
—Who’s there?
“...Girl from another world. Awaken.”

"Oh hai thar, Suzaku-dono. Don't mind me, I'm just slowly bleeding out on the battlefield..."
—And you are?
Suzaku: It is I, the Sovereign Star Suzaku. (1)
—Suzaku.
Suzaku: The Priestess of Seiryuu has lifted the seal that had been placed on my power.
—Misaki-chan did that...
Suzaku: As the Priestess of Suzaku, you can once again obtain the power that will come from summoning me.
Suzaku: Three times only, you may use my divine power however you see fit.
Suzaku: If you say “Kai jin” and speak your wish, it shall be granted.
—Kai... jin...
Suzaku: If it is your will to remain, then use my summoning power like so.
=black screen=
Tamahome: Damn it all... How… how could this happen!?
Tasuki: ...Mitsukake, heal her already!
Hotohori: We’ll hold them off for you.
Mitsukake: Yes, please do.
Far away, someone is... fighting.
Misaki: Wake up... Don’t die!
That’s right... I... can’t die yet...
I’ve got to… finish what I started...
=white screen=
You: The four palaces of the heavens... the four corners of the earth...
Misaki: What...?
You: ...I summon thee... Suzaku, lord of the south...
Mitsukake: …That’s enough. Don’t try to talk...
You: ...Appear on earth... from the seven places of heaven...
I have to stop... this war... All those people are going to die...
You: ...Come to us here... And with thy holy power... smash the evil
For the sake of all those people who have gotten me to this point—
You: ...Which threatens us.... Save us!
And for the sake all the people who’ve left us—
You: And hear... our wishes to thee.
Everything I’ve done so far has been for this moment—
You: Descend to us now from the heavens!
[Words across the top screen]
“...And now, we two become one.”
…..
The strength is... returning to my body.


==Scene: Mountain Path==
Mitsukake: ...Are you awake...?
You: Did you... save me?
Mitsukake: Yes...


With Chiriko
Without Chiriko
Chiriko: When Suzaku was summoned, it seems that our sealed powers returned as well.
Mitsukake: When Suzaku was summoned, it seems that our sealed powers returned as well.


Misaki: …[Your Name]... I’m so relieved...
*whump*
You: Misaki-chan!?
Misaki: It’s fine... I’ll be okay.
Misaki: The wish I made for you and your friends just....
You: Misaki-chan...
Nakago: Priestess of Suzaku. Damn you... Exactly how many times are you going to get back up?
You: ...Nakago...
Nakago: No matter.
Nakago: I’ll be certain to kill you this time.
Nakago: Forcing Misaki-sama to waste her wish is a heavy sin to commit!
Tasuki: REKKA... SHIN’EN!

"What was that, Nakago? I couldn't hear you over the sound of YOUR ARMY DYING." 
*BOOM*
!!
=Fire=
Tasuki’s flames mowed down the soldiers.
Nakago: What...?
Tamahome: Hey... hold on, now...
Tasuki: Don’t... ferget about us.
Nuriko: You’re supposed to entertain your guests, y’know.
Chichiri: ...There’s no way we’ll let you get away no da.
Nakago: Hmph... Then I’ll finish you off first!
You: —Kai jin!
Power coursed through my body.
You: Seal away Seiryuu’s power for all time!
*oo~wee~oo~*
Nakago: ...What did you say...?
You: You and your men have lost Seiryuu’s divine protection.
Nakago: However...
Misaki: Urgh!
Nakago: Your precious friend is still in my hands.
You: ...Nakago...
Suzaku’s power washed through me, and despite my fatigue and pain, I finally got to my feet.
You: …Let go of Misaki-chan. We already know how this fight’s going to end!
Nakago: You’re wrong about that.
=purple background=
Nakago: It’s true that the tide has changed.
Nakago: We’re floundering: I can do nothing but fall, and the Kutou Army will collapse once it has lost its core.
Nakago: And even after that, the vengeance of the Konan Empire awaits us.
Nakago: Kutou will drown in a sea of flame.
Nakago: None of that concerns me.
Nakago: Hatred is the force that moves this world.
Nakago: This world will be stained with hatred...  *chuckles*... And that’s just fine...
You: ...How can you say that...?
Nakago: I was born into a clan that was persecuted and slaughtered. From the depths of that hell, I alone survived.
Nakago: That was when I learned the truth about the world.
Nakago: We never asked to be robbed, raped, and murdered. But if that’s how it is...
Nakago: Then there’s nothing to do but rob, rape, and murder in return.
You: If you really think that’s true
You: ...Then you must be... a very sad man.
Nakago: Say what you like. It changes nothing.
You: ...No. It will change.
You: ...I’ll prove it to you.
Nakago: There’s nothing you can do!
=Back to mountain path=
Nakago left Misaki-chan’s side.
He turned towards me and raised his fist
*smack*


[Dialog options based on the seishi with the most FP]
  • Tamahome
  • Hotohori
  • Nuriko
  • Chichiri
  • Tasuki
  • Mitsukake
  • Chiriko


Chichiri
Chichiri intercepted Nakago’s blow.
Nakago: Damn you...
Chichiri: Hatred, regret, fear, rage...
Chichiri: It’s true that these base emotions lead people astray and give birth to fighting no da.
Chichiri: However, your people perished a long time ago.
Chichiri: None of us could have been involved in it. (2)
Chichiri: The Priestess of Suzaku wasn’t even here when it happened no da!
>>Return to Standard Dialogue


Tasuki
Tasuki intercepted Nakago’s blow.
Tasuki: I don’t give a damn about yer stupid theories.
Nakago: …Vulgar bandit.
Tasuki: Call me whatever ya want, this is what I’ve worked out. (3)
Tasuki: Everyone’s got things they can’t give up, things they wanna protect.
Tasuki: An’ I ain’t gonna let ya stomp all over those things!
Tasuki: My pals, an’ my womanI’m gonna protect ‘em!!
>>Return to Standard Dialogue


Return to Standard Dialogue
Tamahome: Right... We’re all fighting to steal something, yeah?
You: ...Tamahome...
Tamahome: You’re fighting for hatred and fear.
Tamahome: The beliefs we can’t give away, the people important to us...
Tamahome: ...The light of a hope you can never snuff out
=light=
Tamahome: We’ve fighting to protect all of THAT!!
*punch*
!!
Tamahome: ...Why didn’t you dodge that...?
…..
Nakago: All I... wanted was... revenge...
Nakago: ...On the heavens... who gave me nothing but hell...
You: Nakago...
Nakago: Priestess of Suzaku...
Nakago: You say your ideals can stop the hatred I have cultivated.
Nakago: ...Then show me... how you’ll… stop it....
*thump*
Nakago collapsed and moved no more.
Kutou Soldier 1: Impossible...
Kutou Soldier 1: Nakago-sama has fallen...?
Kutou Soldier 2: Retreat! The Konan soldiers will kill us!!
Screams rose up around us.
*pounding*
I could hear far-off cheers, confident of victory, and the sounds of battle grew even more intense.
At that exact moment, somebody was killing somebody else.
The killing would spread. It wouldn’t stop.
You: Suzaku... please lend me your strength.
I had to stop this chain of hatred.
You: Please. Suzaku... give me your...
=screen turns white=
—!!
Konan Soldier: That’s... Suzaku... The god who protects... our nation...
Konan Soldier: We’ve won... The battle is ours!!
Kutou Soldier: ...It’s over... We’re going to... die here.
Is this because of Suzaku’s power, too?
I could hear the voices on the battlefield.
=Sky=
You: Everyone... please listen to me.
You: Nakago has fallen. The Kutou Army cannot win this war.
You: Everyone, please put down your swords.
You: So much blood has already been spilled, and countless lives have been lost.
You: This is a meaningless battle.
Konan Soldier 1: ...What’re you saying...? We fought so hard to gain the upper hand.
Konan Soldier 2: These people tried to tear our nation apart...
Konan Soldier 1: I had friends who were killed, and yet you...
Konan Soldier 3: Just how much of our comrades’ blood to you think they spilled!?
Konan Soldier 1: War is about killing people. There’s nothing kind about it!
I know... all of that...
I knew that what I was saying was nothing but idealism.
But... I...
You: But still, this hatred has got to stop somewhere.
You: Someone has to be the first to forgive.
You: So that you don’t have to stain your hands with any more blood.
You: So that you can use those hands to hold tight the people you care about.
Konan Soldier: Priestess of... Suzaku...
You: You won’t wield your swords out of hatred.
You: From now on, you’ll only wield those swords for the sake of the living!
You: Please! For the sake of those who’re waiting for you to come home...
You: If you have any pride at all... then please... throw down your swords.
You: I beg... you...
……
=Back to mountain pass=
The next thing I knew, Suzaku had vanished.
It was dead silent all around me.
I must have failed. But as soon as I thought that
*clang*
I heard the sound of a sword being thrown down somewhere.
And then... I heard the same sound from all around me.
The noise spread... It started to sound like it was coming from both armies.
The war is... over...
=Black=
And as soon as I thought that, I fell unconscious
…..
Some time passed after that.
=Back to mountain pass=
...I guess I fell asleep.


[Dialog options based on the seishi with the most FP]
  • Tamahome
  • Hotohori
  • Nuriko
  • Chichiri
  • Tasuki
  • Mitsukake
  • Chiriko


Chichiri
{Chichiri appears}
You: ...Chichiri.
Chichiri: ...Are you okay no da?
You: Mm... I’m all right.
You: But what about the battle...?
Chichiri: It’s over no da. Everyone threw down their swords no da.
You: Oh... Thank goodness.
Chichiri: You made a miracle happen today no da.
You: It was all thanks to... Suzaku’s divine protection...
Chichiri: No... Everything happened because you made it happen no da.
Chichiri: Your words came straight from the heart and made a miracle occur.
Chichiri: You completed your duties as a priestess in fine form no da.
Chichiri: There’s no need for you to swallow your pain or push yourself to the limit anymore no da.
As soon as he said it, I started shaking.
Memories of all that had happened so far flooded my thoughts...
Chichiri: You can cry as much as you want no da...
And my body reacted all on its own.
I pressed myself against Chichri’s chest.
It felt like all the feelings I’d been holding back came pouring out at once.
I couldn’t stop crying.
Chichiri: ...You did... a great job no da.
You: ...Mm...
You: Thank you... Chichiri.
>>Return to Standard Dialogue


Tasuki
{Tasuki appears}
Tasuki: Nice job.
You: Tasuki...
You: How’d the battle turn out?
Tasuki: It’s over.
Tasuki: Nakago ‘n’ Soi disappeared together somewhere.
Tasuki: You put it all to an end.
You: Me…?
You: No. Everyone else stopped fighting.
You: All... I did was talk to them.
Tasuki: Ya reached yer heart out to ‘em, [Your Name].
Tasuki: Who else could’ve accomplished all that?
You: ...I guess so...
Tasuki: I’m tellin’ ya. There’s no doubt about it.
You: …Mm.
Tasuki: But’cha know, I didn’t think it’d turn out like this.
You: ...Mm.
Tasuki: Back when I met ya in that cave on Mount Reikaku, I mean.
Tasuki: I thought, “This gal’s th’ Priestess of Suzaku? She seems kinda helpless.”
You: ...Mm...
Tasuki: But ya turned into one hell of an impressive gal. Ya really did.
My head was tangled in knots, thinking about all the things that’d happened so far.
I was completely overwhelmed...
Tasuki: ...You must be beat.
You: ...I bet you are too... Tasuki...
>>Return to Standard Dialogue


Return to Standard Dialogue
…..
You: ...So if the Kutou Army retreated, then... is Misaki-chan...?
Misaki: I’m right here.
You: ...Misaki-chan...
Misaki: I didn’t think we’d ever see each other again.
…..
You: ...I always believed it.
You: That we’d see each other again, I mean.
You: I knew that, someday... the day would come when we’d be able to laugh together again.
You: ...Welcome home, Misaki-chan.
Misaki: ...I’m back, [Your Name].


~End Chapter~


---------------------------------------
Translation Notes:
  1. Suzaku refers to himself as “Suzaku Seikun (星君),” where sei means “star” and kun is the same character used in Taiitsukun to mean “monarch” or “ruler.” I translated this as “the sovereign star Suzaku.” Note that he’s actually listed as “Suzaku Seikun” in the script as well, but for simplicity’s sake I opted to just label him as “Suzaku.”
  2. “None of us could have been involved in it.” -And Chichiri is usually so easy to understand, too. Original Japanese: おいらたちが、ここまで辿り着くことも出来なかった。 (oira-tachi ga, kokomade tadoritsuku koto mo dekinakatta). Literally “And we couldn’t have managed to reach that far” - I think. Both kokomade and tadoritsuku are...annoying me. Anyway, as always, I’m open to suggestions.
  3. “Call me whatever ya want, this is what I’ve worked out.” -Another problem line. Original Japanese: 山賊だろうがなんだろうが、筋を通す (sanzoku darou ga nandarou ga, suji wo toosu). This uses an expression (“suji wo toosu”) which I’m having a hard time translating. Literally something like: “Whether I’m a bandit or a whatever, I proceeded in a logical manner,” which is awkward as heck, so I played with it. I think it's basically accurate, but I’m uncertain enough that I'm leaving it here for corrections.


---------------------------------------


And a few stray thoughts for the end of the arc…
  • I feel the worst for that poor Kutou soldier who got ordered to cut down an unarmed teeager. I hope he made it out alive. And with a good therapist, too.
  • Fun Fact: “Kai jin” literally means “Open God.” This makes me giggle.
  • I love how in the last piece I posted, our heroine thinks Soi killed all those Konan soldiers and it’s an absolute atrocity, but Tasuki sets a bunch of people on fire on a regular basis and we’re all “Go get ‘em, Genrou!”
  • Nakago’s backstory never really worked for me in FY and it doesn’t really work for me now. Maybe if we’d known some of those details in the early going it would have colored my perceptions of him, but by the time we get to this point he’s proven himself to be such a rat bastard that it’s hard to suddenly feel sympathy for him. Mostly I just kept demanding the heroine go: “Hey Suzaku, kai jin, and I wish for Nakago to be dead.”
  • That said, I love the way our heroine handles the end of the war. It’s a great response to Nakago’s challenge and an awesomely responsible use of godly power.
  • Chichiri’s “you can cry now” scene gives me the mega-feels every time.
  • So I didn’t notice this when I did the rough translations, but I’m pretty damn sure that Tasuki says Nakago survived and ran off together with Soi (the Japanese says Nakago mo, Soi to issho ni, which suggests he’s moving himself and it’s not just Soi taking his body away to be buried). So, uh… we just let them go? Seiryuu power or no, this seems very, very stupid.


We’re so close to the end, you guys! Just the final chapter, where we wrap up any romantic threads and see if we get a Happily Ever After! I’ll have at least a part of it up next week, so look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment